Friday, April 17, 2015

We're off to New Caledonia!


July 15, 1994:  Dear Tom,
Tomorrow morning we’re off on another adventure and another country.  New Caledonia.  It wasn’t on my list before, but it is now.  Club Med Chateau Royal.  I’ve mailed Robbie’s latest broken glasses home.  Please call the company and order another pair of glasses for him.  Two pairs won’t last the summer. 

I’ve included the latest list of things we need for the boat. 

The heater was wonderful last night.  The scotch guarding of the furniture was done.

Things are getting exciting here.  Air France went on strike.  Air New Zealand changed our flight from 7:10 am to 2:45 pm.  We just lost a day in New Caledonia.  I wonder what will happen with our return flight next Saturday.

July 18, 1994: Dear Mom and Dad,
I should have listened to what your travel agent said.  Actually the Club Med New Caledonia would be ok if:  1. The air conditioning was working, or 2 they had screens on the windows.  Need I say more?  Skin so Soft has saved my life.  Robbie’s friends (hungry mosquitoes) are feasting on him.  Sharing a room with 2 boys is not my idea of a good time.  There are lots of water activities for Randy.  He won a sailing regatta today.  He is pleased.  Robbie is being Robbie.

Weather is pleasant here with light rain during my power walk in the morning.  The views are beautiful.  There is plenty of food.  French pancakes for breakfast every morning.  No one should starve.  They have four different styles of restaurants for dinner.  Chinese, French, Italian and basic, which has a different theme each night.  Basic was ok, Italian had excellent pizza, tonight we try Chinese and tomorrow will be French.

The facility is run down and needs a face lift.  Fortunately the boats are in very good condition.  The kids saw a sea snake which is very poisonous.  I’m trying to relax.  There are  Japanese, Australian, and New Zealanders here.  They are not accustomed to American guests.  Everyone wonders why we’re here.  Tomorrow I’m trying my hand at archery and Hobie sailing.  Randy won a sailing race on a Laser.  They also have wind surfers.  Randy has the hang of it and Robbie keeps trying.  Today Randy and I have done archery, sailing and windsurfing.  Robbie did archery and kids club. 

I hope Tom is following up on Robbie’s glasses.

July 20, 1994:  Dear Tom,

It was good hearing from you even if your fax as extremely depressing.  The boys and I were feeling very neglected and forgotten.  It’s kind of like we’d dropped off the face of the earth.  Keep in touch!  We need it.

Why another delay?  Tell me what is happening with the boat.  What have they accomplished?  What’s been done?  How are the tables?

The water is very cold here.  Randy and I went by boat to a little island to snorkel.  It was some of the best snorkeling I have ever done.  It beats Hawaii diving.  The new wetsuit was not warm enough for Randy.  He was colder than I was.  We only brought the new wetsuits to New Caledonia, no hoods, vests, etc.  It is winter here.  Cool and rainy.  It will probably be the same in Tonga and Fiji.

Today the boys won an unofficial Club Med Hobie race.  The beach boys wanted to know if Randy cheated as he had a terrible start and finished way ahead of the others. Friday is the official Hobie race.  I expect the Miller boys to uphold the Miller name.

I met a New Zealander who saw our boat on TV.

When we return to New Zealand what does the crew think of us moving onto the boat?  Or, do we go back to Takapuna? 

Randy is reading Shogun by James Clavell.  Could you bring Taipan and King Rat from home?  He needs more to read.  I’ll take him to a bookstore again when we return to New Zealand.  Meanwhile I am looking into staying another week at Club Med because I can’t imagine what I’m going to do with the boys in New Zealand for so long.


1 comments:

  1. It seems like things are coming along nicely for your boat, and the upgrades were well on their way. On the other hand, you guys have been very busy, and I hope things has been doing great for you lately. Anyway, thanks for sharing this with us, Lisa. Have a great day!


    Kent Garner @ Whites Marine Center

    ReplyDelete