Thursday, April 23, 2015

1994 from New Caledonia to Tonga

July 22, 1994:  Dear Tom,
I just extended our stay at Club Med for another week.  The kids are pleased and excited.  Their big Hobie Regatta is today at 3:00.  The weather improved a little.  My power walk today was more like mountain climbing.  I do over an hour daily.  I met some lovely people.  This is definitely a camp type place with archery, pool games, etc. 

Robbie  made some friends who left today.  I hope more kids his age arrive.  Unfortunately kids are not on “holiday” this time of year.  Robbie’s wind surfing is improving and Randy definitely has the hang of it.  I don’t understand this place.  The equipment is excellent but the building needs help.  Robbie wants you to know he likes it here now, but wants to go home.  Randy says he hopes his Nacra still works.  The boys want you to come join us.  The food is mostly not to my taste but I’m sampling everything.

July 26, 1994:  Dear Tom,
I love hearing from you, keep the faxes coming.  Robbie is windsurfing well.  He can even turn.  I got a silver in archery.  Randy coached me.  Randy and I did the Hobie race together.  It was too windy for Robbie.  We pitch poled.  You won’t believe the huge bruises covering my body.  I was thrown head first into the ocean.  Fortunately my glasses were strapped on tightly and I was wearing a lifejacket.  It happened so quickly.  Randy was thrown onto the mast.  Luckily he landed on his back.  Righting the boat the hull landed on my shoulder. Double ouch!  We took the gold.  The other guys were thrilled to see me so wet.  When we pitch poled the boat must have landed on me – the only explanation for my incredibly huge purple marks.  Archery also left marks.  I’m covered in purple and green.  Robbie went on my power walk with me today.  Randy goes most days.  Robbie has a new pal.  Randy gave sailing lessons to my, Chinese, Malaysian, Australian, doctor friend.  She gave him a New Caledonia t-shirt when she left.  I have new friends for us to visit in Australia when we sail there. 

Robbie’s glasses better show up!  They should have arrived.  The back-up pair he stepped on are barely together.  The good ones were temporarily lost and finally found between the box spring and mattress.  You figure it out.  Robbie is teaching his new friend wind surfing.  I’m off to another archery tournament.  Randy will also enter.  He took 2nd in windsurfing because the others didn’t round the mark.  Being here a 2nd week was a good decision.  We all miss you.

August 3, 1994:  Dear Sandy,
I assume you haven’t heard about our crazy summer, so this is a brief summary.  We still aren’t on our boat!  I never should have taken the kids out of school early.  Tom finally went home and the kids and I searched for things to do in the pouring rain.  We almost came home (Tom wanted us to) but then it looked like the boat was almost ready.  I didn’t want to do 27 hours of flying so I took the kids to Club Med New Caledonia for one week.  The boat still wasn’t ready so we stayed in New Caledonia a second week.  The water was freezing, the weather variable, but more fun than New Zealand.  We returned to NZ and the boat was close to completion.  We were going to leave Ready or Not!.  We flew to Tonga and still haven’t heard whether the boat left New Zealand or not.  Tom joined us today.  We were apart a whole month!  That was too long!  I shared a room with the kids for too long.  We are isolated on a little island in Tonga.  Tomorrow we take a boat ride to the “big city” to see a few sights.  It’s Robbie’s birthday tomorrow.  I hope our boat rescues us soon. Today we toured the village on this island.  Quaint.  No electricity or running water.  We spent a long time at the 2 room government school.  It was very interesting.

August 4, 1994 Royal Sunset  Dear mom and dad,
Here we are in Tonga.  Why aren’t you rescuing me when I really need it.  I left my nice warm clothes on the boat foolishly thinking I wouldn’t need them here.  I am SO cold.  We just finished dinner and walked back to our fale in the rain.  At night is when I’m really cold while the days are cool.  Meals here are limited.  Dinner we have a choice of two main courses.  They also offer two starters but no soup or salad.  We are on a little island.  Today we took a boat to the main island to their big city.  We had a driver take us to the basic sights.  Flying foxes (bats) are weird and the blowholes spectacular.  Yesterday, before Tom arrived, the boys and I toured the little village on this island (less than 300 people).  No electricity or running water.  We spent quite a while visiting the two room government school.  We also saw a little of their plantation.  Quaint.  The people are a handsome, happy, smiling people.  They have a very laid-back life style (expect the mosquitoes)!  Our boat didn’t leave Auckland until last night (engine troubles) and they are motoring at 9 ½ knots.  When will they get here?  My guess is we won’t leave Royal Sunset until Tuesday. We got Robbie a large carved wooden mask (God of Oceans) as a birthday present.  He is getting a wonderful collection of woodcarvings.  Randy is holding out for a large mask.  I hope he isn’t disappointed.  It is nice having the family back together again.


0 comments:

Post a Comment