Thursday, April 16, 2015

Our New Zealand Adventure Continues.

July 6, 1994

The sun is shining – we’re off in an hour.

July 8, 1994:  Dear Tom,
It was great receiving your fax when we checked back into Takapuna.  We went up to the Bay of Islands and saw some neat sights on our way up and back.  We drove through torrential rains and incredible winds.  Winds in Auckland were 130KPH, 56 knots on the boat.  Windows blew out of a building.  It was a scary drive.  Today we went thru another glowworm cave.  There was a good breeze blowing thru the cave and I was able to make it through without my claustrophobia kicking in. 
Bay of Islands must be beautiful in the summer.  The beaches are thick with clamshells.  We decided not to go to the very tip of the North Island.  It’s too cold and too much driving.

July 10, 1994
The crew doesn’t expect to get to Tonga until August 1st.  The boys are very disappointed.   I’m not sure what to do with them for the coming weeks.  I guess we’ll know Auckland better than Los Angeles by the time we leave. 

The crew has moved onto the boat but it’s been difficult.  They bought some heaters.  Things still aren’t working right.  At least the rain gives us some idea of where the leaks are.  They don’t think we should move on board yet.  We’ll just be in the way of all the workers.  Still no tables yet, or cushions.  The fabric for the slipcovers was lost in customs (naturally) so more had to be shipped.  The dining chairs are all being repainted to match the table and fabric is being reupholstered.  The water maker isn’t working right.  It makes only 20 gallons per hour instead of 50.  The water doesn’t taste right either.  Membranes were probably damaged while in storage.  The wrong part was received that was needed to fix the heater.  Hopefully the correct part is on its way.  The sail is on schedule.

I can’t decide whether to get a duvet or a heavy wool blanket for our cabin.  It is especially cold and damp up forward in our cabin.  Any preference?  I wish I had an electric blanket, but that isn’t possible.  We put the bedspread on the beds.  They go back Monday for alterations.  The tight cushions in the kid’s cabins are a problem.  The effect is beautiful.  Gerald will see them Monday and will know what to do.  I can’t wait until we get tables on the boat so I can sew again.  It’s fun having control of the T.V. remote but there is nothing worth watching.

Tom, don’t get BBQ things yet!  I may have located the last set in Takapuna. My pasta machine and cook books are nowhere to be found.  There are some strange things missing.  Tell me when you’re ready for my next list.  It’s growing.  Are the old waffle irons at home or also lost?
We are relaxing this weekend.  The kids and I needed time to hang out.  Randy finished reading a couple of books. 

Keep faxing us.  It’s the next best thing to phone calls and it’s fun hearing the news.  We’re going to the movies this afternoon.  The kids are being bums this weekend.  I found two really good (expensive) pans for the boat.  It will be a good splurge.
July 12, 1994   Dear Mom and Dad
We need to make some quick decisions.   I’m thinking of taking the kids to a Club Med – either New Caledonia (is it safe?) or Tahiti that costs more.  Other options:  put the kids on a plane home.  I need to stay here to supervise.  Randy wants to go sailing and doesn’t care where.  Robbie has no desire to go home.  Or, Randy goes home and Robbie stays with me.  Robbie and I could probably move onto the boat by the end of the week.  I can’t do it with both boys.  You could meet us somewhere.  Pick an Island.  It’s been a long time since you’ve been to Tahiti and Bora Bora.  Or we could meet you in Fiji or Australia.  Unfortunately we need to decide quickly.  Some areas of Tahiti are now too polluted to swim in the ocean.  We must be careful.

July 12, 1994 Dear Tom, 
I’ve been calling travel agents.  What do you think of my taking the kids to New Caledonia Club Med?  They have loads of water sports (except scuba diving) and the price is $4423.00, which includes airfare.  Another option is to put the kids on a plane home.  Randy wanted to go home until he heard ideas like Tahiti, etc, but only if the hotel has a sailboat.  Robbie has no desire to go home.  I am very uncomfortable with leaving the boat.  Without the boys I could probably move on board by the end of the week.  I’m ok with the idea of being here until the end of the week, going to the island for 8 days, and returning to New Zealand for the final inspection of the boat.  OR, Randy goes home, and Robbie and I manage.  Maybe he can sleep on the little sofa in our cabin.  There is no way all three of us can move onto the boat.  Is New Caledonia safe??? I really don’t know what to do – stay and send the kids home, all of us go home, Randy goes home alone, Club Med Tahiti or New Caledonia, etc.  HELP!  I feel an owner should be here for the final details. 

Answer quickly!

It’s raining hard here.

0 comments:

Post a Comment