Tuesday, July 9, 2019

Food and Wine in France

To your health!
We are continually asked "Why are you spending so much time in France?"  You could say that I'm a foodie.  I wake up thinking about food.  I go to sleep thinking about food.  I'm continually planning our next meals and what new recipes to try.  Hours are spent on the internet searching out new ideas.   I'm making my pie crust and pizza dough from scratch.  Eating out in France is an adventure.  I don't always know what I'm ordering.  Only twice have I been served something I wouldn't eat.  The food in France is delicious!  I love the traditional meals as well as the new lighter fare being created by a new generation of chiefs.  The cheeses are amazing with 400+ types to choose from.  The wines are delicious with even inexpensive wines from the market being drinkable.  The pastries and breads are world famous.  Going to the boulangerie can be almost a religious experience.  Food in France can be seasonable and regional.  Summer fruits are bursting with flavor and color.  Fall mushrooms fill the stalls at the farmers markets. The people have been lovely and so very polite.  For me it's heaven on earth.  So why not France?  As a friend's mother always said "what's not to like?"
We love beginning a meal with an aperitif

An aperitif sets the mood. 
A lovely deconstructed salad
We accidentally found a Michelin starred restaurant for dinner one night.  We almost didn't find it as it was tucked into a little village off the beaten path.  You need to be adventurous.  You need to be willing to turn yourself over to the chief and staff.  You must be able to relax and go with the flow.  The meal was exceptional.  Taken into consideration are any food allergies or restrictions you might have.  They will also discuss how you like your meats and/or fish prepared.  Then you wait for the show as there is no menu.  The only hint as to what the dinner night be is the question as to how you like certain things prepared from rare to well done.  Not only was every course presented on a lovely plate, artistically arranged, but a different bread/roll along with a unique butter was also served along side each course.  All in all it was amazing.  Auberge de la Charme in Prenois, France near the town of Dijon.

I can't even tell you exactly what we ate.  It was all beautiful and delicious.  Each course presented was unique in color, texture and taste.
Appetizers
Seafood 

It's difficult deciding which cheeses to try.

For desert I was presented with an apple which was so perfect I actually thought that was what I was being served.  I was surprised when I cut into the crisp green outer shell.

Chateau Sainte Sabine is a place we return to annually.  Their Prix Fixe meal is a delight to the senses.
The amuse bouche are clever and meant to tickle the taste buds.
A new presentation of escargot 
Each course is artistically presented with reasonable portion sizes.
Perfect
There are so many unique and special cheeses to sample.
 Besides my cooking and our occasional meal out, wine is an important part of living in France.  We've enjoyed meeting and spending time with Christine and Jean-Michel Jacob of Domaine Lucien Jacob Winery.
Wine tasting at Domain Lucien Jacob Winery

 The dining room at Abbaye de la Bussiere-sur-Ouche is magnificent.  Every detail carefully thought out and executed.  The service is always impeccable and the meals delicious.
Dinner at Abbaye de la Bussiere-sur-Ouche to celebrate Tom's birthday

It's unusual for me to order steak, but grass fed, hormone free Charlois beef is a treat for those of us coming from the USA.

In Beaune they have a large outdoor market.
Vibrant flowers help set the mood on this rainy day.

I think olives should have their own food group.

Candied fruits
With all the eating we do it's important to exercise.
We walked up to Chateauneuf and found a lovely bench for a photo op before a lunch of crepes
Marty and Sara joined us on Rabelo to celebrate Marty's birthday. 
If you enjoy my blog you can sign up and receive each new post directly as an email.  Please tell your friends who enjoy travel, food, wine, boating and adventure to also sign up for my blog.
LOWBRIDGEEVERYBODYDOWN.BLOGSPOT.COM

More to come.

0 comments:

Post a Comment