Friday, August 3, 2018

Burgundy and Chamonix, Mont-Blanc, France


View from on top of Le Brevent, Chamonix, Mont-Blanc
 After unanticipated delays our friends Neil and Louise joined us for an all too short visit to Rabelo.
We have a new captain at the helm as we cruise the Burgundy Canal.  It's a little different from flying his
Cirrus  

Louise enjoyed relaxing and watching the scenery go by.
 We decided to go for lunch at the Abbaye De La Bussiere-sur-Ouche.  The grounds are spectacular and the sculptures by Paul Day grace the Abbaye both inside and out.
Behind the main building of the Abbaye de la Bussiere with a sculpture by Paul Day.

Lunch outside at the Abbaye.  White asparagus starter.

My fish was perfection.

Inside the Abbaye is an amazing collection of sculptures by Paul Day
 Since Neil and Louise like cars and planes we took them to Chateau Savigny-les-Beaune.  There they could see the large collection of motorbikes from 1902-1960, Arbath racing cars, around 80 aircraft, mostly warbirds and if that isn't enough even taste and buy wine.  They have something for everyone.
The chateau has a large collection of Arbath racing cars.

They grows their own grapes and produces some lovely wines at the chateau.
 After a short visit to Rabelo we piled into our car and drove to Chamonix in the French alps.  Neil and Louise had rented a beautiful home which they graciously shared with us.  We had never been to Chamonix and were overwhelmed by the beauty of the area.  We spent a week hiking around various areas of the mountains.  We look forward to returning for another visit.

We ran across a rally of solar bicycles traveling from Lyon, France to Guangzhou, China.  It was an impressive array of solar bicycles.
Just a few of the solar bikes being used.

A view of the town of Chamonix with the river flowing through it.

Wherever we looked the scenery was breathtaking.

Recovering from one hike at a refugio admiring the views and having something to eat.

We were fortunate to have sunshine (and heat) while there and the paragliders were out adding streaks of color against the mountains and sky.
 While watching the paragliders I felt the need to try to fly like a bird.  It looked amazing as they gracefully rode the updrafts, rising up, gently turning, settling down toward the town, then flying up high into the sky again.  Well, the act of paragliding isn't quite the same as watching from the ground.  As one who is prone to motion sickness that first swoop as we ran off the cliff edge and picked up our first draft was startling.  I immediately realized my error in judgement but decided to settle down for the ride.  I asked my pilot to please keep things as smooth as possible.  Acrobatics were not for me.  I can say I've done it.  I have my video as proof.  I'm glad I did it but have no desire to ever try it again.
Proof that I also went paragliding.  That's my foot to add perspective.  I got up the courage to take pictures while up there.
 There was no way that I could go paragliding and Tom not, so he also did it.
A very happy Tom after he landed safely.
We went to see the Ice Cave and sculptures that have been dug into The Mer de Glace (Sea of Ice) which is the largest glacier in France and a major attraction in the Chamonix Valley.  The Grotto has to be dug out each summer because the glacier moves about 70M (230 feet) every year.  First we took the Montenvers tourist train (a funicular which climbs a steep track to stunning views above the Mer de Glace). Then we rode the  Brevent cable car which took us higher up the mountain.  We then decend approximately 430 steps to the entrance of the Ice Cave.  That means climbing back up 430 steps to return to the cable car.
The drippy ice tunnel in the glacier

View of the glacier

Look carefully and you will see the some of the 430 steps hugging the mountain that takes us back to the cable car.

Sunset in Chamonix.
 Friends encouraged us to see the Green Lake in Passy.  We went, walked around the lake and then looked for a longer hike.  The lake is beautiful and worth the visit.  So was the hike we did afterwards to Le Chatelet where we had lunch at Le Chatelet d'Ayeves with mega views and a delicious omelet.
Lac Vert,  Chamonix Mont-Blanc
 There are many hikes up in the mountains of Chamonix.  The scenery varies according to the location on the mountain and which hike you do.
An amazing hike through fields of wild flowers with the sun sparkling off the snow covered mountains.

The clouds opened up for a moment giving us a glimpse of Aiguille du Midi.  Unfortunately the gondola to the top was closed while we were there.
 I love hiking, but I'm not very good at it.  This hike was possibly the most difficult one of my life.  I'd never been rock hopping before. I'd never had to hike across snowfields.  It was challenging but I'm glad we did it.  I even managed to occasionally look up to take in the views.
The views were beyond words.  I loved being up in the mountains and hiking.
 We took the Le Brevent lift to do this crazy hike.
This was an extremely difficult hike for me.  They call this rock hopping as we climbed over these rocks.

Tina and Allen joined us in Chamonix and Allen was on this hike.

On the same hike was the challenge of crossing snow fields.  Louise and Neil were encouraging and gave me instructions as to where to plant my poles and feet.  Louise was especially helpful staying with me through the whole hike.  I broke all the rules in this picture.  

1 comments:

  1. Wonderful post Lisa as the place of Chamonix you discovered with Tom and your friends. Cheers. Jean-Marc.

    ReplyDelete