Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Follow the Baguette Trail



It is Sunday morning and I am in need of a freshly baked baguette and perhaps a little treat to go with our breakfast.  While Tom was still sleeping I walked into town.  The wonderful thing about France is everyone else has the same idea.  I simply followed the trail of people with baguettes tucked under their arm or clutched in their fist.  Voila!  Not only did I find a boulangerie but there was a line.  A good sign.  Carrying my treasures I began my walk back to Rabelo.  I laughed as an older couple stopped to ask in French where the "magasin" was.  I think their French was worse than mine.  I figured out that they meant boulangerie and pointed them in the right direction.

You would think the views as we cruise along the canals and rivers will be the same.  There are fields of hay, mustard, corn, and whatever else is grown in the countryside.  There are horses, cows, the occasional goat, dogs, cats, duck farms, (did I get your attention there?), people fishing, bike riding, walking, jogging...as well as large empty spaces and canals that seem to go on forever.  But never complete silence.  As I've mentioned before, even without the background noise of civilization are the sounds of the wilderness.  Yet, in spite of what seems to be the sameness, it isn't at all.  Each village is different, whether there are beautiful lovingly cared for flower and vegetable gardens, or buildings that seem to defy the laws of gravity by remaining upright.

Perhaps someone can answer a question for me?  Is there a building code in these old villages that require that the original stonework must remain?  We have peeked inside some of the very old homes and discovered the occasional beautiful, modern interior!  What a surprise!  Windows are fitted into old stone walls, very old timbers remain above new doorways, buildings are partially covered with plaster but some of the old stone is left uncovered.  Why?  Wouldn't it be less expensive and more efficient to tear down these tired, dilapidated extremely old structures and put up new ones?  Of course, where we have seen new homes springing up it hasn't been a pretty sight.  They have no character.  The old buildings have charm, history and interest.  So what is the deal?
Beautiful plane trees lining the canals

The light was so beautiful in Langres (a few days ago) that I need to insert one more picture of the fortified town. The stone buildings glowed.


Bales of hay

Magnificent skies above lush fields...

Charming villages, each with their own distinct personality.




Duck farming is big business.
                                   

Ever wonder where those delicious duck breasts come from?




We haven't seen many commercial barges in the area where we have been cruising.  A few did catch my eye for their uniqueness.  There were colorful barges...


And then there are some tired barges.

For your information, we are now in the Cote d'Or.
I am continually amazed by the light, color, sky, magnificent vistas, and understand why so many painters come here to paint.

0 comments:

Post a Comment