Monday, October 20, 2014

Fall in France: A Few Thoughts to Share

As the leaves drop from the trees the mistletoe shows up against the branches more clearly
The exquisite beauty of Fall along the Burgundy Canal.
The drama of fall
Noise:  We no longer notice the daily noises surrounding us.  Cars, trucks, buses, trams, trains, planes, music, motorcycles, lawn mowers, leaf blowers…and even the electrical lines sometimes buzzing overhead.  Why do I mention the obvious to you?  Here in Dijon we experienced something different, something perhaps “old world.”  Walking through the pedestrian area of Dijon I had to stop in order to fully appreciate the sound we were hearing.  It was a low hum.  The hum of people talking.  That’s all!  None of the cacophony of modern civilization.  Only the soothing vibrations of people as they go about their daily life.  Laughter or the yelling of a child occasionally punctuated the peacefulness.  All this contained within the stone streets and old buildings.  It is beautiful and we quickly became accustomed to the calm even in the midst of so many people going about their daily lives.  On Friday morning there was a new sound occasionally heard over the soft hum.  Clickety clack.  Market day.  All the ladies were hurrying along dragging their wheeled shopping carts over the cobble stone streets.
Lighting under a bridge in Dijon.
October in France:

Mushroom season!  Sales!  Changing of the leaves.  The nights are getting longer and the days are getting shorter.

Can a person overdose on mushrooms?  I’m gong to do my best to find out.  So far I’ve made Wild mushroom Risotto, Wild Mushroom Chive Quiche, and Linguini with Wild Mushrooms. If you have a favorite mushroom recipe please send it my way.

You can see here why we've gone mushroom crazy.  I'm trying as many as I can.


Piles and piles of mushrooms.







Unlike in the states where every week the retailers have another sale, in France October is their big sales month.  It was time for me to shop!  I manage to do enough damage in one cook store to last me until we go home (maybe).  Honestly even Tom didn’t complain since he will benefit from my new Le Creuset griddle and casserole (he even encouraged me to get the larger casserole).  Now I can make Chicken in Mustard sauce that I learned from my cooking class in Dijon with Alex Miles.  I don’t buy Le Creuset at home, but since they were on sale and will work on my new induction stove top…how could I resist?!?

Walking into a boulangerie is like entering heaven:  filled with the delicious aromas of fresh baked goods.


The honeyed tones of the old stone walls contrast against the vivid French blue sky.
  
RAIN!  Drumming against the metal hatch in our bedroom ceiling.  Hearing every drop making its own intense note.  The urgency as the water falls from the sky.  Lightning so bright it’s like daylight through my tightly closed eyes.  Then darkness and quiet as the storm passes on.
I've never seen a goose like this one.  

0 comments:

Post a Comment